Tuesday, October 5, 2010

weekly update

This week has consisted of a lot of research that will develop into pages of thumbnails over the next few days. Not only have I been looking at other artist's work, but I have also been reading a lot of poems since I've chosen to label this as a "visual poem." In particular, the work of Edgar Allan Poe. The post below (dreamland) was the first of his short form that I came across, and have since been finding a lot more that have great descriptions of all sorts of environments. The lengthy description at the end of "The Domain of Arnheim" is a goldmine in this regard.

The hardest part, despite the many sources of inspiration I've found, has been formulating what will actually be seen on the screen. Conceptually I've put a lot of work into this, but the visual aspects have yet to take off. I'm not worried however, as that's what the purpose of doing thumbnails will be in this case. I plan on doing about 50 for each of the environments, and whittling them down/developing them until they begin to take form.

I'm looking forward to uncovering some of the ideas that I have brewing through this process.

No comments:

Post a Comment