Sunday, September 5, 2010

Music

Because the score will be important in heightening the emotional impact of the film I've been giving it a lot of thought. After watching Koyaanisqatsi the other night I fell head over heels for Philip Glass's score. So good. I borrowed the soundtrack from USC's music library and have been listening to it a lot since then. It helps to turn the spectacularly mundane (people crossing a street) into something that's just spectacular. I haven't looked for a translation of the lyrics yet, but they seem to hold some sort of religious significance, especially the segments that feature the pipe organ. It's the way that the music is paired with what's on screen that lets you know that what you are watching is important.

I would like to capture that similar sense of weight, but combine that with the fun sounds of Daft Punk. Mark Mothersbaugh is the first thing that came to my mind when the possibility of mixing those two styles occurred to me.

This description might be a little jumbled but in essence all of the names mentioned are those who I hope to draw inspiration for the score from:

Philip Glass (specifically his work on Koyaanisqatsi)
Mark Mothersbaugh
Daft Punk

No comments:

Post a Comment